Re: [Exim] Exiscan and Clam AntiVirus

Author: Calum Mackay
To: Markus Fischer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exiscan and Clam AntiVirus
Markus Fischer wrote:
>     I'm facing exactly this problem since a few days. Every 4 to six
>     hours clamav suddenly dies away (in mainlog: timeout error) and that
>     was it. I need to manually kill all clamd processes and restart it.
>     I'm not very happy with it.

>     Strange however, this exacrly not-touched-since-months setup worked
>     before. I'm using debian testing and updating on a regular basis,
>     however I haven't see clamav or exim updates for a while.

>     I'm lost currently. Disabled clamav is too high a security risk
>     however ... I don't know what I shold do :|

You could try taking the latest clam from unstable, which has the 0.67
tree - supposed to be much more stable.

I'm running it here, and it works well.

also consider monit to monitor, and restart, exim/clam. My /etc/monitrc
appended.

cheers,
c.

# Global set-statements
set init
#
set alert monit@??? mail-format { from: monit@??? }
set daemon 180
set httpd port 2812
         address localhost
         allow localhost
         allow root:XXXXX
         allow crypt /etc/monit/monit.passwd
set logfile syslog facility log_daemon

# exim mail daemon
check process exim4
         pidfile /var/run/exim4/exim.pid
         group mail
         start program = "/etc/init.d/exim4 start"
         stop  program = "/etc/init.d/exim4 stop"
         if failed port 25 proto smtp then restart
         if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
         depends on clamd

# ClamAV virus checking daemon - vital for exim
check process clamd
         pidfile /var/run/clamav/clamd.pid
         group virus
         start program = "/etc/init.d/clamav-daemon start"
         stop  program = "/etc/init.d/clamav-daemon stop"
         if failed unix /var/run/clamd.ctl send "PING\nQUIT\n" expect
"PONG\n"
                 timeout 10 seconds then restart
         if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
# virus database updater
check process freshclam
         pidfile /var/run/clamav/freshclam.pid
         group virus
         start program = "/etc/init.d/clamav-freshclam start"
         stop  program = "/etc/init.d/clamav-freshclam stop"
         if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout