Re: [Exim] Re: Bagle, unqualified HELO, time delays

Autor: Edgar Lovecraft
A: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: Bagle, unqualified HELO, time delays
Jethro R Binks wrote:

>Actually, I've never been really clear on 'good' values for most of these
>types of parameter:
>
>smtp_accept_max_nonmail
>smtp_accept_max
>smtp_accept_max_per_host
>smtp_accept_queue
>smtp_accept_queue_per_connection
>smtp_accept_reserve
>smtp_connect_backlog

Don't know if they are 'good' values or not, but this what I currently have
set for each of our servers (more than one), on average each box gets
~320,000 connections each day and "drop" ~120,000 of 'SMTP protocol
violation: synchronization error' these are my favorite as almost all of
them are virii and or spam engines, however we do pick up some 'legite'
mail systems that have default timeouts of 30seconds
(MDaemon "http://www.ccsoftware.ca" being one of those).

    #Set the maximum number of nonmail commands
    #    before we drop the connection
smtp_accept_max_nonmail          = 5
    #Set the maximum number of simultaneous inbound
    #    SMTP connections that are allowed
smtp_accept_max                  = 4000
    #Set the maximum number of MAIL commands for a single
    #    SMTP connection
smtp_accept_max_per_connection   = 200
    #Set the maximum number of simultaneous inbound
    #    SMTP connections allowed for a single host
smtp_accept_max_per_host         = 200
    #Limit the number of delivery processess that
    #    are started when recieving via SMTP
smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 250
    #Set the number of "waiting" connections before
    #    we say "not available"
smtp_connect_backlog             = 200
    #Set the maximum number of "unkown" commands
    #    before we drop the connection
smtp_max_unknown_commands        = 5

for good or bad, I also set these:
    #Set the maximum number of simultaneous queue runners
queue_run_max                    = 200
    #Define how many smtp hosts/connections we deliver to
    #    at any time for a single message
remote_max_parallel              = 20
    #Define the maximum number of allowed original reciepients for
    #    any single message, RFC's define at least 100 RCPT commands
    #    (default is unlimited, too many)
recipients_max                   = 400
--

--EAL--