Re: [Exim] clamming up Exim

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] clamming up Exim
Hi Christopher, on Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:27:46 -0500 you wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions on using Clam Anti-virus to scan
> all incoming mail? I have Exim 4.30 on Debian 3.0. I would also like to
> have it send a message telling the sender why the message is being
> rejected, etc.

Use Exiscan. Read my HOWTO at
http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/Exim-SpamAndVirusScanning.pdf

However, whatever you do, please don't try to generate a bounce message to
the sender, because you'll just end up spamming innocent third parties.
(Most e-mail viruses fake the sender). Setting a 'deny' message in the
Exiscan part of the DATA ACL (this will mean something after reading about
Exiscan) is fine though.

> Or maybe we could just have it scan and send the message
> to the Exchange server anyway?

It would seem to be a bit of a shame to pass on a known virus...much
better to SMTP-reject at the front line.

Tim