[Exim] Exim died - smtp not defined for remote_smtp transpor…

Author: Stefan Brohs
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim died - smtp not defined for remote_smtp transport - too many open files
Hi,

we use exim 4.30 as a relay server for customers which is delivering
about 10 - 15,000 messages each night (not very much, is it?).
This night it died without logging any clueful information.

Only facts we can find:

1) It complains every time about receiving too many messages in one
connection. Since we try to relay the messages again every per cron hour
we do not assume that this should be a problem. Maybe we could try to
increase it but we didn't debug yet which value would be appropriate.

2) It complains this night for the first time about
2004-03-02 01:02:26 1AxxMg-0007k9-BD == someone@???
R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (-1): TCP port "smtp" is not defined for
remote_smtp transport
2004-03-02 01:02:30 1AxxMj-0007lB-Sz Couldn't open message log
/var/spool/exim/msglog//1AxxMj-0007lB-Sz: Too many open files in system
A log like this came twice. About 30 minutes later(!) Exim died whithout
any further comment.

(Right at this time there are logs in syslog about too many open files,
so we increased the value now.)

Does anybody have some idea if this could be a bug or a configuration
failure?

Thanks,
Stefan