Re: [Exim] Sender verification via callout

Author: Russell King
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: Zharovtsev, Anton, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Sender verification via callout
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:52:30PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Russell King [3/1/2004 6:59 PM] :
> > They are wrong. As I've stated here before, I strongly advise people
> > to refuse to accept mail from people blocking <>. The reason is that
> > if you are unable to deliver their message, you have no way to tell
> > the sender that you were unable to deliver.
>
> Consider, if you will, the situation where a large ISP with several
> domains, and millions of users, has some of its domains forged into
> millions of spams, so that their mailserver clusters get pounded with
> several hundred thousand to a few million bounces every hour.
>
> What would you suggest that such an ISP do?

Firstly, if an ISP can be described as "large" and has "millions of
users", they are by definition successful, which means running the
whole of their mail system on one machine (ok, ok, I'll be kind, two
machines 8)) isn't really doing their customers any real service.
What happens when the next virus comes out which causes their own
users to flood their servers?

Secondly, this is not really a valid excuse for preventing legitimate
users of their mail system from knowing if their mail could not be
delivered.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/