Re: [Exim] SMTP rewriting not shown with debugging

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP rewriting not shown with debugging
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Philip Hazel wrote:

| FYI: If you specify "ordinary" rewriting, addresses are supposed to be
| rewritten before being verified in an ACL. Do you have evidence that
| they are not?

Suppose our MX boxes have a simple anti-relay test:

  require message = NO RELAYING!
          domains = gla.ac.uk

I'd like to specify in one place that glasgow.ac.uk is equivalent. E.g
with a normal rewrite:

  \N^(.*)@glasgow\.ac\.uk$\N    $1@???    Eh

If the rewrite happened before the ACL then mail for glasgow.ac.uk should
be accepted. But it is not - the require statement denies.

OK this is a trivial example. But we have loads of subdomains
foobar.gla.ac.uk which all (in theory) are meant to have glasgow
equivalents. Right now we end up carrying around both formats for each
domain which is a pain. It would seem elegant to have one single rewrite
to take care of the lot.

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service