Re: [Exim] SMTP rewriting not shown with debugging

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP rewriting not shown with debugging
On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 10:08, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, John Horne wrote:
>
> > As can be seen the address 'fred@???' changes (correctly) to
> > 'fred@???', but debugging does not show this even with the
> > 'rewrite' option. Checking the rewriting shows:
>
> The SMTP rewriting facility is intended for fixing up addresses that are
> syntactically invalid. It isn't really intended for the straightforward
> rewriting that you are doing here. Why doesn't a "normal" sender rewrite
> work for you?

Hello Philip,

Well an ordinary ('E') rewrite rule does work - it is in place at the
moment. However, I am having to make major changes to our exim
configuration, and that includes several more checks - at connect time
and upon receiving the SMTP MAIL command. As such I would have to check
for both the 'plym.ac.uk' and 'plymouth.ac.uk' addresses. It seemed
easier to me to simply rewrite these at SMTP time to 'plymouth.ac.uk'
and then just do the checks against that address. Having said that,
things are changing day by day at the moment! I'll have a look to see if
I can revert to an 'E' rewrite rule but at the moment 'S' seems easier
:-)

Regards,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839