Re: [Exim] appendfile creating non-contigous data

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Joseph Kezar
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] appendfile creating non-contigous data
On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 17:17, Joseph Kezar wrote:
> Average mailbox size is around 35MB. There are around 30 dead accounts
> that just collect mail.

If they are dead, give them a decent burial - accepting mail thats being
ignored is just costing you money.

> We currently use UW IMAP. Are there migration tools to take our
> existing mailbox(appendfile) and convert to maildir or mbox? Does UW
> IMAP support these?

You are currently using mbox format.
I did suggest mbx, but actually I am not sure thats a good idea in this
case - any people using mbox would be better set up to answer in this
case.

Maildir is the format invented with qmail, so qmail.org will have some
conversion tools. UW-IMAP does not support Maildir natively - mainly
because the authors of WU-IMAP and qmail indulge in a mutual hate-fest.
I would not recommend using any of the Maildir support patches with
UW-IMAP - in fact I just would not suggest using UW-IMAP for a whole
variety of reasons.

Courier IMAP works well and is well regarded. It is Maildir only, and
much lighter on resources than UW-IMAP.

Dovecot is an up and coming IMAP server and I hear good things about it
for Maildir, although I understand there have been problems with its
mbox support. If ease of maintenance appeals then dovecot appears to be
going into several linux distributions as a supported package (ie Fedora
carries that rather than WU-IMAP now).

If you are getting hit by fragmentation that badly it could be worth
asking questions on the ext3-users list (on redhat.com).

    Nigel.