Re: [Exim] appendfile creating non-contigous data

Author: Chris Meadors
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] appendfile creating non-contigous data
On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 12:17, Joseph Kezar wrote:
> Average mailbox size is around 35MB. There are around 30 dead accounts
> that just collect mail.
> We currently use UW IMAP. Are there migration tools to take our
> existing mailbox(appendfile) and convert to maildir or mbox? Does UW
> IMAP support these?

Yes, there are a few scripts I found a few years ago when I did the
same. I think the one I ended up using was yammc.pl. But I had to hack
it up a little bit to do exactly what I wanted. Google around, I think
"mailbox maildir converter" should find some.

There are patches for UW IMAP to support Maildirs. I even maintained
one for a bit. But I started finding nasty bugs that would require way
beyond the ammount of work I wanted to put into the project. (The UW
people really don't like Maildirs.) I ended up going with
Courier-IMAP. I highly recommend it now.

If you will be dealing with huge numbers of small files in a directory,
which it sounds like you might, if you move to Maildir. Riserfs is a
lot better suited for that task than ext3 also. I use xfs on my servers
now, becaues I need to keep quotas in sync for 6000 users. I found that
the aquota files could get out of sync with what was actually stored in
the fs. Running quotacheck on 13 GB of data, with the machine offline
is not feasable.

--
Chris