Re: [Exim] authenticated_sender not attaching AUTH to MAIL

Author: Philip Hazel
To: TN
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] authenticated_sender not attaching AUTH to MAIL
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, TN wrote:

> I'm now a bit confused about what you're saying - so if I print
> $authenticated_sender, that only shows me what was passed, NOT what I
> set it to ?

Yes. $authenticated_sender contains the value that was received with the
message (if any). It cannot be changed.

> I presume you're saying I can still set it to what I am trying to, but
> I just can't print it out in the transport debug ?

You can set what is sent out with an SMTP/LMTP delivery by setting
authenticated_sender; you can of course print it out by duplication:

authenticated_sender = <whatever>
debug_print = <the same whatever>

You can also see what is sent out in the SMTP dialogue that is included
in the debug output.

> In a nutshell, I'm trying to set authenticated_sender to the recipient
> of the email so that AUTH= gets attached to the MAIL cmd when exim
> delivers to cyrus via smtp/lmtp,

First step is to ensure that Exim authenticates when doing this
delivery. Have you configured a suitable authenticator? Is it working?
Is Exim sending an AUTH command? Is it accepted? If not, you need to fix
that first.