Re: [Exim] SMTP compatibility issue

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP compatibility issue
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 01:53:16PM +1100, Simon Lai wrote:
> I am involved in the development of YAMS (Yet another mail server).

From the snippet in your original mail is this YAMSBAWHRTS ?

(Yet another mail server by authors who haven't read the standards)

You will want to read and understand all of RFC821, 822, 1123, 2821, 2822,
and, for pipelining, auth and SSL: 2920, 2222, 2554 and 3207.

Other RFC documents you might like to read are: 2505, 3461, 1870, 3030.

This is on top of a sound understanding of filesystem and networking
semantics.

I would not consider embarking on a projects to make another mail server
without understanding that, at the very least. I would also look at the
history of various mailservers, how they've evolved, and if possible, why
various decisions have been taken. Worth remembering, also, that SMTP is
about far more than the wire protocol, and if you can't even get the
simple understanding of the wire protocol correct, then you have many more
problems in implementing an MTA.

Cheers

MBM