Re: [Exim] check_spool_inodes / reiserfs / Linux 2.6 bug

Author: Mark Bergsma
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users, mrten+exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] check_spool_inodes / reiserfs / Linux 2.6 bug
Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Did this used to work with 2.4? Smells like reiser (which has often had
> this sort of problem - which they don't really care about) has had a bug
> fix applied to 2.4 and not forward ported.

Yes, the combination 2.4 / reiserfs / exim has worked fine for years.

> Well surely the admin should check the filesystem is capable before
> enabling it :-) Especially since exim cannot easily.

Perhaps, one just doesn't expect these things to change with a kernel
upgrade. :)

> However maybe there should be a get-out for
>     f_files==0 && f_ffree==0

> as there is obviously something screwy.

That sounds like a good solution. Especially since I found on Google:

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2001-47/1179.html

"Some manpages say "Fields that are undefined for a particular file
system are set to -1" (e.g. NetBSD1.4.3A from May24,1995), other say
"Fields that are undefined for a particular file system are set to 0"
(latest man pages from LDP)"

So this IS an incompatibility :(

--
Mark