[Exim] lowest numbered MX record points to local host: mydom…

Author: Andrei Magureanu
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] lowest numbered MX record points to local host: mydomain.net
Good morning,

The problem is obvious from the subject line. I am currently using Exim
4.30-7 on Debian Woody "Unstable". I installed Exim (exim4-daemon-heavy)
using the "apt-get" utility provided by Debian. No problem so far. The
installation did well, mysql support works flawlessly, all together no
major problems in the last year.

Two days ago I updated with "apt-get update" the exim4 package. Since
then, I have the following issues:

- cannot send messages from an address hosted on my server to another
address hosted on the same server; Let's say I do have an account
andrei@??? and another: daniel@??? Both domains are
running on the same server. andrei@??? cannot write to
daniel@??? and vice versa. The error in
/var/log/exim4/rejectlog is:
"2004-02-24 09:45:23 H=h-66-134-113-74.sfldmidn.covad.net (lhosts) [66.134.113.74] F=<andrei@???> temporarily rejected RCPT <daniel@???>: lowest numbered MX record points to local host"

- domain aliases ("catch-to-all" accounts) are not working. Before the
update, if I was sending a message to an invalid account on mydomain.net
(e.g.: blah@???) then the "domain aliases" feature would have
picked up the message and forward it anyway to a "master account" (e.g.:
andrei@???).

- aliases are also not working. No mail gets forwarded. The error is the
same: lowest numbered MX record points to local host.

I will present you the SQL database structure and Exim4 config file. I
don't want to make this message too big, so I uploaded them on the web
at:

- EXIM4 File: http://www.wideopenwest.com/~uskratos/exim4/exim4.conf.template
- SQL File: http://www.wideopenwest.com/~uskratos/exim4/maildb.sql

Any help and ideas are highly appreciated. I already spent 2 days on
this problem and it seems I cannot get a working solution. I did check
the DNS settings, they are all OK. File permissions, they are all OK. I
just cannot seem to understand why all of a sudden it stopped working...

Anticipated Thanks.

--
Andrei Magureanu