Re: [Exim] 550 Relay not permitted and POP3 login error

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 550 Relay not permitted and POP3 login error
* gareth bailey <blygar@???> [20040223 12:47]: wrote:
> I'm running Exim 4.24 on FreeBSD 5.2 Release. This is a two
> part question.
>
> Firstly, i am getting "SMTP failed to deliver" "550 relay
> not permitted" messages when i try to send emails to my
> mail server. My settings are as follows:
>
> domainlist local_domains = mydomain.com
> domainlist relay_to_domains = *.mydomain.com
> hostlist relay_from_hosts = localhost : 192.168.0.0

Since your changes look quite minimal, I suggest that you just make
a copy of configure.default make those three changes to it and do more
tests, especially using exim -bh. It should be simply to fix, and learn
in the process.

> Secondly, i am unable to log on from Outlook and Outlook
> Express clients (unable to log on to pop3 server) I did
> read the FreeBSD specific install doc and accordingly
> changed the following settings:
>
> auth_passdb = pam *
> auth_user = root
>
> I have added users to passwd belonging to "mail" group.

That second question has nothing to do with Exim, but is specific to any
POP3 server that you installed. I can't make a guess what that daemon
cold be. Whatever it is, it must be set to run correctly.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post