[Exim] SMTP AUTH against Exim 3 with Outlook

Author: Cole Tuininga
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] SMTP AUTH against Exim 3 with Outlook
I'm in the process of trying to get Exim 3 to do SMTP Auth for Outlook
clients. It was quite easy to set up for evolution (including TLS), but
Outlook just doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

I've got the login auth section set up like this:
login:
driver = plaintext
public_name = LOGIN
server_prompts = "User Name : Password"
server_condition = ${if pam{$1:$2}{yes}{no}}
server_set_id = $1

The pam stuff is not a problem as I'm currently running exim as root.
While Evolution will auth against this setup just ducky, Outlook is
doing something weird. Here's the relevant part from running exim with
-v -v -v -v -v -d9:

SMTP<< AUTH LOGIN
SMTP>> 334 VXNlciBOYW1l
SMTP>> 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ=

Running PAM authentication for user ""
PAM error: User not known to the underlying authentication module
login authenticator:
expanded string: no
SMTP>> 535 Incorrect authentication data

LOG: 0 MAIN REJECT

For some reason, Outlook seems not to be sending the auth data back? I
have outlook set up to require authentication on outgoing mail. I'm
assuming that's set up "right" since otherwise it wouldn't even try to
initiate an "AUTH LOGIN" - correct?

Anybody have any ideas on how to help me beat Outlook into submission?

My next goal is to have this work over TLS ... which Evolution already
does quite happily. *sigh*

Many thanks in advance.

--
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet@???