Re: [Exim] Cannot make exim accept fetchmail's messages to …

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Cannot make exim accept fetchmail's messages to localhost
Hi Martin, on Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:37:53 +0100 you wrote:

> Tim Jackson <lists@???> writes:
> > exim -d -bt monsorno@localhost
> Thanks for the tip, I tried it out, and exim does everything that's
> expected and accepts the mail. When doing a
> echo "bla" | mailx -s "blabla" monsorno@localhost
> the mail perfectly gets delivered.

In that case:

a) check you've restarted Exim after last changing your config

b) check the exim daemon and the the command line are using the same
config file

c) look at your ACLs, in particular your RCPT ACL, to see if there is some
limitation that's stopping recipients in that format over SMTP (bear in
mind that the ACLs you have are probably not relevant if you're submitting
from the command line).

If you're still having problems, try this:

exim -bh 127.0.0.1

This is a fantastic feature which lets you run through a "fake" SMTP
session, as if you were connecting from the IP given (127.0.0.1 in this
case) - but it gives you debugging output so you can see exactly what's
going on. I'm sure you'll find the problem soon enough if you run through
a dummy SMTP session exactly like fetchmail does.

> Anyway, if localhost is in local_domains, is this not enough to make
> SMTP delivery from localhost work?

Generally, yes, but your ACLs can alter the behaviour from an SMTP point
of view (as opposed to a local submission POV) significantly.

Tim