Re: [Exim] Forwarding unknown users to another host

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Bryce Newall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Forwarding unknown users to another host
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:47:59PM -0800,
Bryce Newall <data@???> is thought to have said:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Tabor J. Wells wrote:
>
> > exchangeProxyAddressesLookup:
> > driver = redirect
> > data = ${lookup ldap {ldap:///CN=Users,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=com?mail?sub?(proxyAddresses=SMTP:${quote_ldap:$local_part}@${quote_ldap:$domain})}}
>
> What are the CN and DC values supposed to be? Is CN the organizational
> unit under which my users exist in Active Directory? And is DC the name
> of my Active Directory domain? Mine ends in .local, so would it be
> "DC=<my AD domain>,DC=local"?

Exactly. Mine is EXAMPLE.com. You can do some searches user ldapsearch.

Oh also I forgot one thing. You need to search against port 3128 in AD. The
default LDAP port won't give you what you need. So my ldap_default_servers
line looks like:

ldap_default_servers = 192.168.1.90::3268

> > domains = dbm;/etc/exim/db/localdomains.db
>
> This has nothing to do with local_domains earlier in the Exim configure
> file, right? Just has to do with Exchange?

Well I use it for both. More convenient for me to have all of the info in
one place.

> > verify_recipient
> > self = pass
> > pass_router = exchangeRoute
> > no_more
> >
> > exchangeRoute:
> > driver = manualroute
> > transport = remote_smtp
> > route_data = ${lookup{$domain}dbm{/etc/exim/db/localdomains.db}}
> >
> > where localdomains.db contains key/value pairs for the domain/ip address of
> > the exchange server it is routed to.
>
> I'm not following that last part. Could you give me an example of the
> contents of that file?

Sure. It contains entries like:

example.com: 192.168.1.90
example.net: 192.168.1.90

etc. For all of the domains Exchange is the final delivery location for.

> > time rather than let exchange accept it and then try and relay a bounce
> > message back through the exim servers.
>
> Hmmm... my Exchange server is actually set up to deliver mail directly,
> rather than relaying it back through the FreeBSD box. Is there an
> advantage to configuring Exchange to use the FreeBSD box as a Smart Host
> and relay mail through it?

For me, I like all of my mail to go through one set of servers I can do
greps on the logs for, etc. I also don't have to expose my Exchange server
to the outside world at all.

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality