Re: [Exim] Maildirsize files: opinions sought

Author: Wakko Warner
To: 'Exim-users'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Maildirsize files: opinions sought
> > Immediate deletion or deletion upon logout is probably a bit too much,
> > but 7, 10, or 14 days is plenty of time to realize an error. The
> > Trash folder is a convenience incase you make a mistake, it is not for
> > storage.
>
> Even so if the Trash folder is a convinence and should not be considered a
> storage place for wanted email, *FORCING* deletion of messages WITHOUT the
> option of turning that off per user is very wrong. I've always been the
> advocate of "do nothing, and let individual people do something if they
> want" (or at the very least if you force everyone, let there be an off
> switch for individuals). Unfortunately in the way I understand
> Courier-IMAPs auto trash deletion, its on or off for everyone - no per user
> settings, which I personally disagree with (thus turn it off).

Personally, the idea of having a "trash can" is silly. (I don't mean trash
cans in the home, I mean on the computer).

I use mutt. I'll flag as deleted and when I sync the box, it's GONE. I've
gotten used to that. I expect that when I delete something it's going to be
very difficult to recover thus I'm more careful about what I delete.

The trash can in my oppinion makes people more likely to delete something
(well I can get it back if it was an accident).

Keep me in CC.