RE: [Exim] PHP Form to send emails with Exim

Author: Eli
To: 'Jason Gerfen', exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] PHP Form to send emails with Exim
Steve Thomas wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:05:50AM -0700, Jason Gerfen is rumored to
> have said:
>>
>> I have been looking around the web for some examples of how to use a
>> PHP form to send emails using Exim installed on the localhost. I
>> have tried adding the command line to send emails in the php.ini
>> file but so far everything I have tried has not worked.
>>
>> If anyone knows of a good reference point or example of how to
>> accomplish this please let me know right away. Thanks again.
>
> http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php

Woops, I guess I totally mis-read his question when I posted just a few
moments ago. Sorry for possible mass confusion!

The mail() function in PHP simply calls your "sendmail_path" variable to
send the message. It assumes sendmail behaviour, which is why you will see
the default of /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i (maybe some -oem or whatever flag
too, I never use that). So long as your exim binary is pointed to by a
symlink at /usr/sbin/sendmail, it should work without any changes - but this
of course assumes you've already got a configuration file for exim that lets
you send email out :) If not, tackle that first before you try confusing
yourself with PHPisms.

Eli.