[Exim] Message ID Test, Please Ignore.

Author: O'Reilly, Stuart
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Message ID Test, Please Ignore.
Chris,

This is crazy. This is a quote from a member of staff at plus.net

"The lack of a message ID violates RFC2822 and so should always be there.
The fact is that the current spate of viruses means that we have to take
some measures in order to control the problem. If we do nothing, not only
does it reduce the quality of service for eveyone, but people then berate us
for doing nothing. The measures have reduced the instances of MyDoom
considerably so the likelyhood is that the block will not be removed until
the virus has died down. "

(FROM RFC2822):
    3.6.4. Identification fields
    Though optional, every message SHOULD have a "Message-ID:" field.
    Furthermore, reply messages SHOULD have "In-Reply-To:" and
    "References:" fields as appropriate, as described below.
    The "Message-ID:" field contains a single unique message identifier.
    The "References:" and "In-Reply-To:" field each contain one or more
    unique message identifiers, optionally separated by CFWS.

However, according to RFC2119, SHOULD is defined as:
    SHOULD: This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
    carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

PS, had to write this in OE6 since exim.org rejects mail without a
Message-ID.

Regards,
Stuart