Re: [Exim] SMTP protocol violation complaint -- false positi…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP protocol violation complaint -- false positives.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Note that in addition to the false positive in the logs, the 503
> response given by Exim to the ESMTP client seems to be incorrect.
>
> The example in RFC2920 which precisely matches this situation shows a
> 554 response, not 503.

However, RFC 2821 says this:

   -  If there was no MAIL, or no RCPT, command, or all such commands
      were rejected, the server MAY return a "command out of sequence"
      (503) or "no valid recipients" (554) reply in response to the DATA
      command.

I chose to use 503 because it makes more sense (to me) in the case when
DATA is sent without any RCPTs at all (e.g. even before MAIL). It's not
a major issue, but I believe Exim is in accord with the RFC.