Re: [Exim] About this list

Autor: David Woodhouse
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] About this list
On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 08:48 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
>      What chaps my hide is it isn't that hard to just delete the CCs.  I
> happen to use one of the few clients that doesn't do it ans also participate
> on lists where CCs are discouraged.  Had to remove 2 from this message because
> of other people's laziness.  The List does the distribution, thank you, no
> need to make everyone's client do the same.

Note that it's not necessarily laziness. Some people consider it
extremely rude if you follow up to a posting of theirs without doing
them the courtesy of a Cc. They may not have been subscribed to the
list, or they may be reading the list only sporadically.

Unless I _know_ (and remember) that the person to whom I'm replying
dislikes receiving duplicate copies but _hasn't_ bothered to arrange
filtering out of duplicates, I wouldn't normally remove addresses as I
have done in this case.

Again consider the failure modes. One way round, you rudely exclude a
person from a discussion they wanted to participate in. The other way,
someone gets an extra mail or two which they could do without. Which
failure mode is it more important to avoid?

It _would_ be nice if a poster could indicate their preference
automatically, so that a respondent's MUA _automatically_ either
includes the original post in the Cc or not, as desired -- I think
that's what Mail-Followup-To: was supposed to achieve, wasn't it?

--
dwmw2