RE: [Exim] About this list

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Boyle Owen
CC: Nigel Wade, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] About this list
On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 16:30 +0100, Boyle Owen wrote:
> My point is, I don't think the data confirms the
> hypothesis. I subscribe to several other lists which are just as busy as
> Exim and really don't think I've *ever* come across a case of anyone
> replying to the list when they meant to reply to the individual. It's a
> dire warning about a non-problem.

I've seen it done. I've done it myself -- and I've _almost_ done it
myself to this list only a week or two ago, and caught myself only at
the last moment.

> Incidentally, I just clicked "reply to all" to send this riposte - did
> you get two copies? Is that better?

Very much so¹. One copy will eventually make its way to me via the list
and one copy came to me personally. In fact, I'd have considered it
extremely _rude_ had you deliberately dropped me from the recipients and
argued with me behind my back in a public forum.

Admittedly, it would have been _better_ had the direct copy landed in my
inbox rather than my spam folder, but that's a problem with your mailer
being broken and not correctly inserting References: headers.

--
dwmw2

¹ especially since your pointless disclaimer claims that it would be
wrong for me to actually read the message if I'm not explicitly named :)