Re: [Exim] About this list

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Nigel Wade
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] About this list
On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 14:25 +0000, Nigel Wade wrote:
> On an entirely unrelated issue, would it be possible to add a reply-to:
> header to messages sent by this list pointing back to the list so the
> default reply action is to the list rather than to the individual who posted
> the message? It's the norm for most mailing lists so that answers end up in
> the archive.

Please read http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Almost all mailers have separate 'reply to all' and 'reply to sender'
functions. On this list, these functions do what they say on the tin --
and that's a good thing.

The failure mode if we _refrain_ from tricking peoples mailers into
replying to a public list when they intend to reply privately is that
they may occasionally hit the wrong reply button, and subsequently have
to forward their unintentionally-private reply to the list.

The failure mode if we _do_ trick peoples mailers into making public
replies when they explicitly ask their mailer to 'reply to sender' is
that people end up posting sensitive information to the list.

--
dwmw2