Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs?

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs?
On 4 Feb 2004 at 23:53, Edgar Lovecraft wrote about
    "Re: [Exim] Require A records for ho":

| Fred Viles wrote:

| > | And almost all of those that use only host
| > | and not host.domain should be rejected
| >
| > Almost? What should be the discriminating factor?
| >
| That they do it at all. You give me host only, then as far
| as I know, you are a workstaiton, as that is how almost
| every workstation connects.

So you reject, or not? You said "almost all", how do you decide?

| Otherwise, you have a broken server.

Otherwise than what?

| > | as they are not valid email servers.
| >
| > Not as I read the RFCs. Cite?
| Gladly... I will also save you the trouble of going to a website
| jump to the bottom of this message where these citings are
| posted (some sections not complete)

Interesting, even RFC2821 contradicts itself on this point.

| > | And Greg is not the only one that requires host information
| > | to valid in many different ways. --
| >
| > True, I'm sure. Which is not the same as saying it's a good idea. FWIW,
| > when I experimented with much less strict consistency checking here
| > (IP->PTR->sameIP), I got about 25% false positives. I have a hard time
| > picturing any company that could afford to use such checks to reject
| > mail.
| >
| I never said that I currently implement IP->PTR->sameIP,

Nor did I say you did. I said *I* tried it, and saw what I said I
saw.

| you will get far
| more than a 25% false positive rate.

I didn't, but I didn't have it in place very long.

|  I do however require that your
| connecting IP meet one of these:
| (yes PTR OR no PTR then A/CNAME == connecting IP)
|         AND
| (A/CNAME == resolvable)

Sorry, I can't follow that. There are two possible names of A/CNAME
records, the HELO name and the PTR name if it exists. It's not clear
which you mean where.

FWIW, I found when I backed off to requiring PTRNAME->SameIP only
when PTRNAME exists I still had an unacceptably high flase positive
rate.

| Believe it or not, most spam/virus get kicked on those alone,

Of course it does. But even a 100% spam rejection rate is not
usefull if it comes with an unacceptable false positive rate.

| Greg IS more strict than I am, but if you follow RFC2821 then
| HELO blahblahblah MUST have IP==PTR==HostA/CNAME

That makes no sense. HELO doesn't "have IP", do you mean the source
IP? Or do you mean the IP you may get by resolving the HELO name?

Either way, it seems you're still wrong. I find no mention of PTR
records in RFC2821.

And even if you were right, it isn't relevant to the point I was
actually making when you jumped in: That rejecting mail on the basis
of failing either an IP->PTRNAME->sameIP test or a HELONAME->sameIP
test is simply not practical in the real world.

- Fred