Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs?

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs?
On 4 Feb 2004 at 20:42, Edgar Lovecraft wrote about
    "Re: [Exim] Require A records for ho":

| And almost all of those that use only host
| and not host.domain should be rejected

Almost? What should be the discriminating factor?

| as they are not valid email servers.

Not as I read the RFCs. Cite?

| And Greg is not the only one that requires host information
| to valid in many different ways. --

True, I'm sure. Which is not the same as saying it's a good idea.
FWIW, when I experimented with much less strict consistency checking
here (IP->PTR->sameIP), I got about 25% false positives. I have a
hard time picturing any company that could afford to use such checks
to reject mail.

- Fred