[Exim] Losing mail

Author: jpff
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Losing mail
I have a problem that I would much rather not be the case. I am
losing mail. The latest example was sent from inside the local
network to the mail machine, and there were two recipients, one
internal; and one external. The msglog file says

2004-02-03 21:25:39 Received from aff@??? H=(codemist.co.uk) [172.16.4.14] P=esmtp S=951 id=4179-Tue03Feb2004212522+0000-aff@???
2004-02-03 21:25:39 aff@snout: local_delivery transport succeeded
2004-02-03 21:25:40 XXX@???: remote_smtp transport succeeded

and the exim_mainlog says the equivalent

2004-02-03 21:25:39 1Ao839-0005Zr-9s <= aff@??? H=(codemist.co.uk) [172.16.4.14] P=esmtp S=951 id=4179-Tue03Feb2004212522+0000-aff@???
2004-02-03 21:25:39 1Ao839-0005Zr-9s => aff <aff@snout> R=localuser T=local_delivery
2004-02-03 21:25:40 1Ao839-0005Zr-9s => XXX@??? R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp H=XXX.fr [xxx.yyy.xzzz.aaa]

but the message did not appear in the mailbox. Over 95% of mail sent
the same way does get delivered, but every so often this loss happens.

The exim configuration says
<router>

localuser:
driver = accept
check_local_user
transport = local_delivery
cannot_route_message = Unknown user

and

local_delivery:
driver = appendfile
file = /home/$local_part/mbox
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
group = $local_part
user = $local_part

The system is RedHat7.3-ish, currently with 2.4.23 kernel, exim 4.30
with exi-scan

My confusion is that it usually works, but just a few escape -- and
always from the same user as far as i am aware. Any suggestions?
This happened in earlier versions of exim as well.

==John ffitch