Re: [Exim] Can we Estimate the World Wide Install Base

Author: Frank Heydlauf
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Can we Estimate the World Wide Install Base
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 08:39:39AM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
> That gets you access to a list of all domain names and their
> corresponding nameservers. Phase 1 of the project would involve walking
> these zones and doing an MX lookup for each domain. This allows you to
> map domain names to mail server IP addresses.

That will give you a ratio of MTA installations to domains
(which also can be of interest) but you will miss a huge amount
of MTAs which are not connected directly or permanent to the net
(behind a dial-up line, filtered by a firewall, behind viruswall,
polling their mail from multidrop-pop accounts, redirected over
a ISPs relay server, ...)

--
Regards/Gruss Frank
Hi Mark, ever tried 'nmap -sV -p 25'? :-)