RE: [Exim] "split_spool_directory

Author: Sheen, Tony
To: 'Andreas Metzler'
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: RE: [Exim] "split_spool_directory
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:58:41AM +0100, Frank Elsner wrote:
> > running exim-4.30 on RedHat Linux 7.3 and I've currently
> > about 8000 Mails in spool.

> > I'm thinking about "split_spool_directory = yes" to encrease performance
> > which still isn't bad.

> > What is the queue size which calls for "split_spool_directory = yes" ?
> [...]

> Imho this depends on the file-system, too. Ext2/Ext3 without
> htree/dir_index[1] is slow on big directories, starting at about 1000
> or 2000 entries, which calls for split_spool_directory. ReiserFS does
> not have this problem (but probably others, or probably not, please
> refrain from turning this into a "my filesystem is better than
> yours"-thread).
>                 cu andreas
> [1] which requires Linux 2.6 or a patched 2.4. - I think Fedora's 2.4
> has it included)
> --
> "See, I told you they'd listen to Reason," [SPOILER] Svfurlr fnlf,
> fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
> Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"

During tests on Solaris 8 with Exim 4.05, 4.11, 4.14 and 4.20, we noticed a
major slow down in performance after we passed about 2500 files in a single
directory and we concluded it was OS related. Switching to a split spool
definitely helped. We now handle up to around 40,000 messages per hour at
peak periods and switching back is not an option I'd care to consider...

Tony