Re: [Exim] "split_spool_directory

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: EXIM Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] "split_spool_directory
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:58:41AM +0100, Frank Elsner wrote:
> running exim-4.30 on RedHat Linux 7.3 and I've currently
> about 8000 Mails in spool.

> I'm thinking about "split_spool_directory = yes" to encrease performance
> which still isn't bad.

> What is the queue size which calls for "split_spool_directory = yes" ?

[...]

Imho this depends on the file-system, too. Ext2/Ext3 without
htree/dir_index[1] is slow on big directories, starting at about 1000
or 2000 entries, which calls for split_spool_directory. ReiserFS does
not have this problem (but probably others, or probably not, please
refrain from turning this into a "my filesystem is better than
yours"-thread).
                cu andreas
[1] which requires Linux 2.6 or a patched 2.4. - I think Fedora's 2.4
has it included)
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"