Re: [Exim] Can we Estimate the World Wide Install Base

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Can we Estimate the World Wide Install Base
On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 06:07, Kevin M. Barrett wrote:
> In the past few days I have had three clients ask me for an estimate of the
> install-base of EXIM vs Sendmail vs Exchange vs MTA X. Has any one in the
> community done any kind of study at all? Nigel, any Ideas.... I feel rather
> foolish when asked this question. M$ will tell you that they have 43% of
> the market.

Well there are lots of different metrics here - do you want figures by
installation - then MS wins because their best mailboxes per machine
figures are much much much lower than any reasonable unix based system
(although the sendmail default install also skews). Howabout numbers of
mailboxes in use - then the huge installations skew things
dramatically. Or domains - the virtual hosters skew that. Or messages
processed (seems fairest to me).

I used to have figures. Those were estimates based on taking the mail
logs from the Planet/Energis mail systems (which were the biggest in
terms of mailboxes in the UK and probably well into the highest message
load), and analysing the SMTP handoff or SMTP banners they saw. However
I do not have access to that sort of mail log anymore, nor anyone
employing me who would be happy for me to have that sort of diversion
:-)

    Nigel.