Re: [Exim] Misplaced PID

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sander Smeenk
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Misplaced PID
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Sander Smeenk wrote:

> Quoting Doug Jolley (ddjolley@???):
>
> > I have compiled exim with PID_FILE_PATH=/etc/exim/exim.pid. However,
> > the pid is still showing up in the exim-daemon.pid file located in the
> > spool directory. In all other respects, Exim seems to be behaving
> > quite well. Anyone know why the PID file is being misplaced?
>
> Most probably because Exim wants to write the PID file as the user Exim
> is running under. On recent Debian systems, this user is Debian-exim,
> and this user does not have (and should not have...) write permissions
> in /etc/exim.
>
> And because Exim couldn't write to the specified PID_FILE_PATH, it
> defaults to the spool directory.

No, Exim isn't nearly as cunning as that. If it can't write to the pid
file, it just carries on (if debugging, it writes a message). It writes
the pid file as root, because in some OS there is a standard pid file
directory, which only root can write to.

So the original problem must be something wrong with the way Exim got
built. What does

exim -bP pid_file_path

say?