Re: [Exim] Hello All

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: Dilip M
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Hello All
Dilip M [1/29/2004 5:42 PM] :

> Let me introduce myself first.I work for a organization called
> s7solutions.com.I have been told to setup FREE mailserver.As majority of
> ppl i started with qmail server.But till today i don't see that service up
> for more than 7 days...sometimes pop stops some time anti virus (clamd)
> stops!!

qmail is not as bad as that, you know ... it can be quite stable. And I
don't see why you are blaming qmail for the problems with your pop3 and
antivirus servers.

Hint: upgrade to a newer version of clamd, and consider something like
courier-imap for your pop3 / imap needs.

> Just came to know from Internet , that Exim is simple to setup and it can
> be integrate with some other FREE anti virus tools(That is must for me)

So can qmail, so can a whole lot of others.

But yes, exim is far easier and more flexible to set up and use than
qmail is ... qmail is the sort of beast that requires patches for just
about everything remotely useful (ESMTP SIZE, STARTTLS, AUTH, LDAP /
MySQL dbs ...)

> 2)It should manage medium traffic at least 500 mails per day.

You can do that with a 486 if you want. Your p3 is big enough. Just
upgrade your redhat, patch it to current versions (if you can still find
up2date running for it ... 7.3 is past its end of life now I think).

    srs

--
linux@??? (Suresh Ramasubramanian)
jaharkes@ravel:/usr/src$ mv linux Gnu/Linux