Re: [Exim] Installation questions on FreeBSD

Author: Igor Karpov
To: Enoch Chan
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Installation questions on FreeBSD
Enoch Chan wrote:

> I found out from the configure file that:
> exim_user = mailnull
> exim_group = mail

That's right.

> Apparently, no user exim or group exim has been created (I can't grep exim
> from /etc/group).

Don't worry, it's ok too. exim_user and exim_group stated above are
enough for exim to operate.

And I am getting an error when trying to pass a message
> directly to exim:
>
> Cannot open main log file "/var/log/exim/mainlog": Permission denied:
> euid=26 egid=6
> 2004-01-27 01:17:07 1AlPKf-000DiK-Bv <= root@??? U=root P=local
> S=308
> 2004-01-27 01:17:07 1AlPKf-000DiK-Bv Cannot open main log file
> "/var/log/exim/mainlog": Permission denied: euid=26 egid=6
>
> Here, euid=26 refers to mailnull and egid=6 refers to mail
> Then I tried to chown -R mailnull:mail /var/log/exim, I got an error that
> the file/directory does not exist.

Really? So you can create it first with

mkdir /var/log/exim; chown mailnull:mail /var/log/exim

Frankly saying I cannot remember right now if port creates this
directory automatically. Before your posting I was sure it does :)
But if it doesn't, it has a good reason for this - one may choose
another location for log files or even use syslog for logging.