RE: [Exim] Stopping out-of-office auto-reply mail loops

Author: David Woodhouse
To: eli-list
CC: 'Exim Users' Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [Exim] Stopping out-of-office auto-reply mail loops
On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 02:42 -0500, Eli wrote:
> Others say the envelope sender, which makes sense too - possilby more than
> others. If emails were sent to this, (I believe it's $return_path I'm
> referring to, not the $sender_address or whatever) it would avoid sending to
> bouncebacks (empty address, so it's discarded) automatically, and if a list
> send a message, although annoying, only one message would get sent to the
> list,

Lists never send messages. You'll never receive genuine mail with an
SMTP reverse-path of <exim-users@???>, and as such, the list can be
set up to refuse to accept bounces.

If you were to autoreply to a list message, that goes back to
exim-users-admin@???, which is the list software -- not to the
list. The list software will probably just keep count of how many times
you do this and unsubscribe you if you do it too much. A much less
problematic failure mode than some of the other possibilities.

--
dwmw2