Re: [Exim] Using the -f flag

Author: Kevin Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Using the -f flag
Matthew Lewis said:
> I posted awhile back about some problems I've been having using the
> -f[email] flag. From all indications, the problem is that the script
> trying to use the flag isn't running as a trusted user. So how can I (or
> my host) verify that the user the script is using actually is a trusted
> user or not?

The trusted users can be set with the following in a Exim4 configure
file with the following setting. Below is mine.

trusted_users = root:mailman:www:majord

In this case, root, mailman, www and majord are set as trusted. On my
systems this means

   root
   mailman (one mailing list)
   majord  (majordomo mailing list)
   www     (My Apache server is owned by www:wwwgroup)

So if the user you are using is not listed as a trusted_users, it won't be
trusted.

Without this setting normally only root and the exim user are trusted
however any user can use -f with <>.

Note that there is another setting that I've not used before called
untrusted_set_sender which allows you to let any sender use the -f
option.

--
Kevin W. Reed - TNET Services, Inc.
Unoffical Exim MTA Info Forums - http://exim.got-there.com/forums