Re: [Exim] OT - Why you should not put Exchange on the Inter…

Author: TN
To: Phil Brutsche
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT - Why you should not put Exchange on the Internet.
Phil Brutsche wrote:

> Steve Thomas wrote:
>
>> I don't work with Exchange, so I can't say that this is a verified
>> fact, but I read somewhere (NANOG maybe?) that Exchange requires SMB
>> communication with the client. That in itself would be enough to
>> convince me not to put it on the 'net.
>

> I can verify that to be the truth (we're about to contaminate our office
> with Exchange 2003).

No, this aint true in all cases, but its true that most exchange
installations use it via smb, since that's the 'preferred' method
dictated by MS.

We've been using Exchange since 1997, and right this instant we are
replacing it with Exim/cyrus combo since I've finally had my patience
tested too far, and I now have the time to replace it.

2 big reasons I'm replacing it:
(i) we spent a bundle on exchange, nt4.0, and seat licenses. What did we
get ? A product that was very easy to install, but a nightmare to keep
from falling over. Both our OS and our version of exchange have both
been abandoned by MS, you are expected to keep upgrading each year just
to stay with a product that is support by patches etc.
Longest uptime we've ever had with exchange, NT4 ? 100 days about.
Longest uptime with linux etc etc ? 430+ days, only powered down to suck
the dust out of the PSU's before they could catch fire.
Special note: we're only 30 users, so imagine trying to keep an exchange
server from falling over in a large user base!!

(ii) totally inflexible if you want to plug non-commercial products into
the MTA (spam killers etc)

Its hard to replace though, as people love the exhange groupware stuff.
We've just decided to abandon the groupware features, so I'm just
replacing the MTA/IMAP side of things, and to hell with the candy
groupware junk.