Re: [Exim] Accessing virtual accounts

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Accessing virtual accounts
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 07:17:11PM -0800, Bradford Carpenter said:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:12:01 -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > PAM has a rather large number of plugins that can help in this
> > situation. It depends on how you want to do it - I use LDAP, some
> > people use a database backend, some people just use a flat file, if the
> > number of users is small. There are pam modules for each of these, as I
> > understand it. pam_unix (the module that authenticates against a unix
> > account) is only one way of many to authenticate users.
>
> I'd looked through the PAM documentation, and it does seem as if this
> should allow authentication without an account. What I can't find in
> the documentation, however, is how to set up new users and passwords.
> Where does PAM look for usernames and their passwords? A simple flat
> file is sufficient for my needs.

I use something like this for allowing passwordless logins via gdm on my
desktop at home, where it's just me and my girlfriend:
auth    sufficient      pam_listfile.so \
        file=/etc/gdmusers sense=allow onerr=fail item=user

And gdmusers is just a list of names. I am sure that pam_listfile or
something much like it could do what you want. Similarly, you can make
exim itself search a file, although that doesn't help your users
_retrieve_ said mail once it's accepted - perhaps courier or other users
can jump in and help out at this point.

Sorry I don't knowmuch about OS X, so I can't help you with any of their
complications.
|  Stephen Gran                  | "I didn't know it was impossible when I |
|  steve@???             | did it."                                |