Re: [Exim] frozen delivery messages

Author: Paul
To: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] frozen delivery messages
Hi Wakko,

Type: time
Default: 0s

If timeout_frozen_after is set to a time greater than zero, a frozen message
of any description that has been on the queue for longer than the given time
is automatically cancelled at the next queue run. If it is a bounce message,
it is just discarded; otherwise, a bounce is sent to the sender, in a
similar manner to cancellation by the -Mg command line option. If you want
to timeout frozen bounce messages earlier than other kinds of frozen
message, see ignore_errmsg_errors_after.

The default is 0 seconds, which means straight away. This says to me, exim
gives up on any frozen email straight away which makes sense.
Why would u want to keep a frozen message? It wont be able to be sent in
5days time anyway. Is my understand of frozen messages correct?
Keeping a frozen message on the queue for 5days or more on a low end system
may be ok but we handle over a million emails per day, and keeping frozen
emails for no apparent reason takes up a lot of valuable resources :)

An example of a frozen message would be an email to badmailbox@???
and mx25.hotmail.com responds with 550 user unknown

Any comments?