Re: [Exim] Re: MS-DOS signature (was: needed: beagle/bagle p…

Author: Chris Edwards
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: MS-DOS signature (was: needed: beagle/bagle pattern)
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Greg A. Woods wrote:

| (i.e. I don't think his prediction about worm writers writing their own
| linkers has come true (yet) :-)

:)

| You missed the 'n' in third position -- it's quite common. :-)

Out of interest where does the 'n' possibility derive from ? Have you got
a real live M$ exe that BASE-64 encodes with an 'n' in 3rd position ?
I'm quite ready to believe I've done the maths all wrong!

Its clear that the first 2 bytes are 4D 5A (MZ ascii)

http://hyatus.dune2.info/Miscellanous/exe_header.html
http://win32assembly.online.fr/pe-tut1.html

Now lets try BASE-64 encoding this:-

3 bytes input gives 4 bytes BASE-64 output
(e.g. http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1521/7.htm)

So, what does 2 bytes input give ??

Hex:            4d       5a       XX

Binary:         01001101 01011010 xxxxxxxx

6-bit chunks: 010011 010101 1010xx xxxxxx

Decimal:        19     21     40-43

BASE-64 dict:    T      V      opqr

In other words regexp TV[o-r]

| This regular expression is a balancing act. Much more recently someone
| on the Postfix list noted that even hobbit's expression will stand a
| chance (remote as it may be) of matching BASE-64 encoded raw data that
| one might find in some spreadsheet or photo of the kids, or such.

Ours matches (by design) a BASE-64 encoded attachment of _any_ file that
starts with MZ. Note that it can only match at the *start* because of the
spaces. The BASE-64 dictionary does not use spaces.

I've no idea what are the chances of a photo of the kids starting with MZ.
But I can report we've used the " TV[o-r]" sig since august/sobig time,
and its got rid of some millions of executables, with no complaints yet...

I'll check out the quoting tomorrow.

Cheers

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service