Re: [Exim] needed: beagle/bagle pattern

Author: Wakko Warner
To: fv
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] needed: beagle/bagle pattern
> | >         { "TV[nopqr][A-Z]...[AB]..A.A....*AAAA...*AAAA" } \
> |
> | Try:
> | {TV[nopqr][A-Z]...[AB]..A.A....*AAAA...*AAAA}
> |
> | there. You're actually searching for the string:
> | -- "TV[nopqr][A-Z]...[AB]..A.A....*AAAA...*AAAA" --
> | (I put the double dash to show the space at the end).
>
> Huh. Well, you must be right because it works. Thanks.

NP.

> But I don't understand why, from reading the spec. Section 6.12 says
> pretty clearly that leading and trailing whitespace are stripped from
> string values unless the string is enclosed in quotes. And while
> quotes weren't needed around the pattern string in this case, it's
> not clear to me why they should cause a problem.
>
> Experimenting a bit more, it appears to work with the quotes if there
> is no whitespace between the curlys and the quotes (front *or* back),
> and it works without the quotes even if there *is* leading and
> trailing whitespace. Apparently the curlys interact with string
> parsing in a non-documented way? Or did I miss something in the
> spec?

Unneeded quoting. I only use quotes where necessary. Some people have had
problems in the past with using quotes the wrong way so it's just better
not to use them. Only times you need them is like on command line stuff
where you use '${if ...}' that has a space and the options are broken up
before expansion.

Or atleast that's the way I understood it =)