Re: [Exim] me again

Author: Kevin Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] me again
Jeff Lasman said:
> we've got a domain that used to belong to an ISP. So much spam it's
> incredible. We point web requests to it to our own webhosting domain.
>
> The email was so ridiculous to it we finally, in desperation, set the mx
> to a pointer to 127.0.0.1.
>
> We set it back recently, and it's still getting tons of junk. Spammers
> don't even remove addresses from lists when they hit their own systems.

Setting it to 127.0.0.1 doesn't make a domain go dead... in fact you
actually end up with no control over it at all since you then can't
deny anything as it never gets to you.

We used the following...

accept  domains = *BADDOMAIN.tld
        endpass
        message = The BADDOMAIN Mail Domain is no longer in service.
        log_message = BADDOMAIN IS NOT A VALID DOMAIN - $local_part
        local_parts = /etc/exim/users-baddomain
        verify = recipient

Basically the only users listed in the local_parts list were
postmaster and abuse... Any other user address was denied.

We ran something like this for about 6 months on a domain that we
took over that had up to that point accepted any and everything
for more than a year. When we started using it again, the spam
had dropped quite a bit. Still heavy but mainly for user accounts
that don't exist now so it just gets denied.

--
Kevin W. Reed - TNET Services, Inc.
Unoffical Exim MTA Info Forums - http://exim.got-there.com/forums