Re: [Exim] File Extension Filtering Alert

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] File Extension Filtering Alert
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, James P. Roberts wrote:

> I am wondering if the MIME-aware apps (such as exiscan, yes?), do
> their file-type detection based on the MIME header,

In order to protect idiot applications which disregard the Internet
MIME data and apply their own crazy heuristics, it's inevitable that
one has to apply the same crazy logic (as closely as one can determine
what it is) that's used by the idiot applications. I simply can't
begin to tell you what I think about that, but the reality is,
short of leaving those applications to stumble into the pit that they
dig for themselves, the protection has to try to apply the same broken
rules that the applications themselves are seen to be using.

Funny old world. Way back, IBM used to implement some surprising
interpretations of the interworking specifications, but at least one
couldn't fault them on conformance. Nowadays, the major vendor seems
to go out of their way to violate mandatory requirements of the
interworking specs.