[Exim] putting it all together (exim / dovecot / pgsql / apa…

Author: Moritz Möller
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] putting it all together (exim / dovecot / pgsql / apache)
Hi List,

I'm trying to build some kind of Mail-Server-Package, consisting of:
- exim with spamassassin + clamav
- dovecot (a quite cool IMAP server) - using Maildir storage
- postgres (for user/domain tables etc.)
- apache/php for admin web + webmail

However, I ran into some small Problems:

- I want to use exim filter files for processing e-mail rules (sorting into mailboxes etc.), which works pretty fine. But I sometimes want to "refilter" a mailbox, for example if I added a rule affecting several mails that are already in a mailbox. If i move all files from the Maildir to the exim queue, exim does a lot of work and the headers are modified, and i think that's not that good. It would be nicer to have exim only check what the filter would do with the current email and return a list of actions (like: store in mailbox a, store in mailbox b, forward to c). Is that possible or would it be better to do the local delivery manually by using a pipe transport to a script which uses some other format of filter file?

- Two days ago i got a strange error message from ClamAV (or to be more specific, the ClamD part of SA-Exim) telling me that the buffer space is big not enough. Anybody seen this before? Now it works again, and i dont remember having changed anything...

- Generally, ClamAV does not seem to filter very good, many email worms come through (a trojan is on your computer! etc.), Is there any other tool blocking such malicios mails without completely blocking .exe attachments?

- Is there a standard way of identifying message delivery reports and auto replies? As far as i found out both are send with a null envelope-from, but personally i'd like to drop message delivery errors silently without dropping auto replies...

- Lastly, (sorry, have not rtfm) does exim support mailbox quotas? And how performant is this? Maybe it is possible to track the used Mailbox size in the database (dovecot had to coop here)?

Thanks for reading :)

Moritz Moeller