Re: [Exim] localhost as SMTP server again: Dynamic IP adress…

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] localhost as SMTP server again: Dynamic IP adresses being blocked
[ On Wednesday, January 7, 2004 at 10:17:10 (-0500), Walt Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] localhost as SMTP server again: Dynamic IP adresses being blocked
>
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:02:44AM +0000, David Woodhouse said:
> > On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 11:54 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> > > There is of course a different, perhaps more serious, problem with using
> > > localhost as SMTP server setting in the MUA (see previous thread): It
> > > could mean that dynamically assigned IP addresses are listed in
> > > Received, and some receiver's don't like that; they block all messages
> > > from addresses in dynamic ranges, at least if they belong to a major ISP.
> >
> > That would just be bizarrely broken. Block mail coming _directly_ from
> > dynamic IP ranges rather than through the ISP's smarthosts, perhaps --
> > but to block mail just because it happened to originate at a dynamic IP
> > is insane.
>
> As I mentioned in another email, SpamAssassin currently does this. Yes,
> it's frustrating to no end.

It must be quite frustrating indeed since of course everyone using a
dynamic address and forwarding their mail through their ISP as they
should will usually end up creating received headers that would contain
their dynamic address.

I knew there were some problems with SpamAssassin, but I didn't know it
was quite that stupid.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>