Re: [Exim] Problem with exim on internal network

Author: Willie Viljoen
To: syn uw, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problem with exim on internal network
(Top post - on account of stupid temporary MS mail client - Sorry)

The best way to get around this is to use a "smart host" for the internal
domains. This means routing mail for internal domains via a server that can
deliver to the internal domains. If all the domains are on one server, you
can use that server as a smart host and all mail to internal domains will go
right to the destination, skipping DNS lookups and other checks. If there is
a server on your network that can deliver to all these domains, using that
server as a smart host will forward all internal mail via that machine.

Setting up the route for this is very simple. Just place this directly above
the "dnslookup" router in your routers configuration:

       #This example assumes you are running Exim 4.
       direct_internal:
         driver = manualroute
         transport = remote_smtp
         route_list = !+internal_domains 1.2.3.4

Here 1.2.3.4 should be the address of the internal server you plan to use.
You also need to specify the domains. The best way to do this is to add this
in the primary configuration, preferably near to where the other domain
lists, like local_domains, relay_for_domains, etc. are located:

        domainlist    internal_domains    =
/usr/local/etc/internal_domains

Now, in the file /usr/local/etc/internal_domains, create a newline seperate
list of domains that are to be handled in this way, for example:

example.com
customer1.com
customer2.com
myfamily.org

In this way, you need only modify the file when a new domain is to be added,
and no reload of the Exim configuration file as needed each time you add a
domain. The flat file can also be handled with a shell script, or, if you
prefer, you may use a database to do this lookup, check the Exim
specifications.

Will