Re: [Exim] Exim and MRTG

Author: Christian G. Warden
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim and MRTG
I've received a few requests for my version of mailgraph for exim.
Niels Dettenbach has offered to host it, so I'll send a link as soon as
he gets it up.

Mailgraph was originally written for Postfix. I added an '--exim' to
mailgraph.pl that tells it parse Exim's mainlog format rather than
syslog. I've only tested it on a few of my machines that have fairly
similar Exim configurations so I can't guarantee it will work for all
configurations. Most of the parsing code comes from eximstats so
sent/received statistics should work everywhere I hope. The spam and
virus stats will only be accurate for messages rejected in the data acl,
and the log_message must start with "SPAM" or "MALWARE", respectively.
It could be extended pretty easily to log other reasons for rejection
that occur in an acl. It already matches "BAD_ATTACHMENT" and
"MIME_ERROR", which are the log messages I use with Exiscan-acl's
demime, but doesn't log them to the rrd's. See the process_line_exim()
subroutine in mailgraph.pl.

I recommend using the deb if possible as it will install an init script
and setup a config file using debconf.

On one of my machines, I've modified mailgraph.cgi to show Rejected
and Bounced stats on the same graph as Sent and Received rather than
with Spam and Viruses. It would nice if this were configurable.

If anyone is interested in taking over maintenance, or better yet,
working with David Schweikert (dws@???) and Norbert Tretkowski
(nobse@???) to integrate these changes into the original version
and the official debian package, that'd be great.

xn