[Exim] piped aliases

Author: Michael Johnson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] piped aliases
Hi all

I've been setting up my new exim installation trying to get mailman
running with it. When I try to send a message to the mailman address,
I get a bounce:

-------------------------

   mailman@???
     local delivery failed

-------------------------

I thought this was a problem with the aliases. I can get mail on that
machine. I've sent several test messages to the machine to and from a
"real" user. Those worked fine which pointed me to the aliases as my
next step.

I looked at my configuration file and noted the line about removing the
comment (#) on the line defining the user. Here's the section of the
configuration:

system_aliases:
driver = redirect
allow_fail
allow_defer
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
user = mailman
group = mailman
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe

The user and group both exist. I run mailman under the user and group
mailman. The installation works fine other than this little problem.

-Michael