Re: [Exim] bare linefeeds in SMTP

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] bare linefeeds in SMTP
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> sorry, didn't mean to rub you the wrong way.

Oh, not very wrong. No need to apologize. I just don't see any reason to
make this change. Because different inputs and output have different
line termination requirements, translations are going to have to be done
whatever is chosen.

> with the data in wire format (that is, even including the CR LF . CR
> LF), resubmitting it is very fast and efficient.

Only if the output is also "to the wire". Maybe one day this will be
true for all deliveries, but it certainly is not at the moment.
Mailboxes in normal files will be around for a very long time.

> > Possibly. I need to think about this. "If first line of DATA is
> > terminated by CRLF, then fixup bare LF in header lines" might indeed be
> > the best heuristic.
>
> I'll have a look at it.

Thanks.

Philip