Re: [Exim] bare linefeeds in SMTP

Author: Pat Lashley
To: Kjetil Torgrim Homme, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] bare linefeeds in SMTP
--On Friday, December 19, 2003 19:11:52 +0100 Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@???> wrote:

> as long as Exim is able to reconstruct the original data, everything is
> fine. but the current format has problems reconstructing bare CR, LF or
> NUL. this is needed if Exim is to support RFC 3030, the binary data
> extension for SMTP. (of course, Exim doesn't support 8BITMIME either,
> which is very much related, so perhaps no one will ever feel the itch
> needed to get hacking.)

Exim DOES support 8BITMIME. BINARYMIME is only available when CHUNKING
is used; which Exim does not support. If it is added, the input routines
for CHUNKING would bypass the normal input line termination handling.
But it would raise issues with spool file format and interfaces to
SpamAssassin etc.

Supporting RFC 3030 also requires the ability for the MTA to convert
the Message Transfer Encoding to a 7bit format if the recipient system
doesn't negotiate CHUNKING and BINARYMIME. Which means that it needs
to understand and parse the MIME headers and entire MIME body.

I don't expect to see RFC 3030 support in Exim any time soon, if
at all.

-Pat